Join Our Mailing List
Mike Kujawski is a passionate consultant, trainer and speaker, on the topic of strategic marketing and digital engagement.
When, Where, How much?
November 25-26, 2013
*NOTE: Registration for this workshop closes 3 business days prior to the scheduled dates.
CEC Training Room
1900 Merivale Road, Suite 206
Ottawa, ON K2G 4N4
$ 1450 (+ tax)
"I attended Mike's full-day Social Media workshop, which I thought was extremely valuable. It gave me just the perfect overview of this emerging field of communications that I needed and offered a lot of food for thought. Mike delivered the course in an engaging, dynamic way"
"I attended Mike's workshop on Social Media Marketing and was very impressed, both by his knowledge of the subject and by his ability to convey it in a way such that we can understand and adapt it to our needs. If the opportunity presented itself, I would hire him in a heartbeat to come and present at our department"
"Mike provided a fantastic presentation to our federal-provincial-territorial working group on social media marketing. He explained things in easy-to-understand language, how it applies to us in the government and tailored it to our program. Everyone said he was the best part of our two-day workshop"
"I participated in a highly-motivating instructional session on Web 2.0 that Mike delivered for public sector participants. Mike doesn't just help you dip your toes into the vast ocean of valuable information on the Web - he makes you want to jump in, play around and get as involved as possible to get the best ROI for your time and efforts. His simple approach to demystifying Web 2.0 walks you through the best way to set yourself up to use the Web to your advantage, personally and professionally. My takeaways: information, tools, hints and inspiration. Thanks, Mike!"
STRATEGIC SOCIAL MEDIA ENGAGEMENT FOR GOVERNMENTS (G057)
WHY SHOULD YOU ATTEND?
The new era of social media/web 2.0 is having a major impact on what and how organizations communicate with key audiences — both external and internal. The world of one-way communication, of one source to many readers, viewers or listeners — is rapidly changing into a multi-facetted communications universe, where mass customization and increased relevancy are made possible.
To take advantage of the opportunities and deal with the challenges presented by this new universe, public sector organizations need to employ a strategic approach to enhancing and opening up communication channels with target audiences through the use of contextually relevant social media tools and applications. This workshop, developed by the Centre of Excellence for Public Sector Marketing (CEPSM) and specifically tailored to the government environment, is designed to provide a practical, concrete approach to using social media. No prior experience is necessary.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
- An understanding of the foundational elements of web 2.0, social media, government 2.0, and related terms
- The latest internet usage statistics and social media user segmentation
- The latest definitions, statistics and potential uses of blogs, microblogs, podcasts, wikis, etc…
- The crucial organizational culture changes that are required for widespread adoption
- How to set realistic digital engagement objectives that are aligned with your organizational strategy
- How to monitor social media channels to provide you with crucial business intelligence (hands-on training)
- How to drastically build up your web presence/digital footprint (i.e. dominate search results)
- How to establish relations with influential online content creators in your industry
- How to measure performance of your digital engagement activities
- How to mitigate potential risks and threats such as privacy and security of information
- How to leverage the wisdom of the crowd by “crowdsourcing” certain elements of your job
- How to save a considerable amount of money by using free, web-based applications
- How to improve the efficiency of your internal processes by using collaborative tools
- How to stay well ahead of the curve at all times through participation in relevant online communities
- How others are working around and/or within various public sector policies and acts
- The latest examples of effective social media adoption in public sector organizations around the world
- How to develop a strategic framework for your next social media engagement initiative
WHAT WILL YOU TAKE AWAY?
- PDF copy of the Social Media Engagement Workbook
- PDF copy of the Social Media Engagement Presentation
- Participant workbook
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT COMPETENCY
- Thinking Things Through: Innovating through analysis and ideas
This interactive workshop consists of:
- Day 1: Interactive presentation providing an up-to-date overview of the modern digital space and the opportunities within it relating to government.
- Day 2: Facilitated working session: The Social Media Engagement Plan Framework – A 10 (+1) Step Hands-on approach using CEPSM’s exclusive Social Media Engagement Workbook. The purpose of the day 2 working session is to work with participants to fill out the blanks and questions that need to be addressed before an effective social media engagement plan can be written and implemented. The CEPSM workbook/presentation format has been designed to allow for maximum interaction and productivity given the time constraint. After certain steps are presented, participants will be given a brief period to fill out the questions for that step or conduct the required hands-on tasks. A few of the steps are to be completed by participants on computers (strongly recommended on Day 2) as they require access to the internet.
The following 10 (+1) steps will be covered in the workbook.
- 0) Understand what you are up against and set context
- 1) Set social media engagement goals
- 2) Know your audience
- 3) Conduct a digital presence audit
- 4) Conduct an environmental scan
- 5) Set SMART social media engagement objectives
- 6) Determine your strategy for each objective
- 7) Determine your tactics for each strategy
- 8) Develop a social media guidelines and governance document
- 9) Develop a high-level implementation plan and budget
- 10) Continually evaluate and adjust
At the end of this process, workshop participants will have a solid social media engagement framework that will allow them to move forward with their initiative. A major advantage of using social media channels to engage with target audiences (and existing clients) is the fact that most tools and applications are free. As a result, tremendous cost-savings can be achieved. CEPSM’s own participation and engagement with the social media community provides it with access to all the latest social media monitoring tools and custom applications as they are released. All the tools used throughout the workbook and presentation can be easily obtained by participants at no charge unless otherwise noted.
This 2-day workshop format is ideally limited to 20 participants . No prior experience is necessary. Unless otherwise noted, participants will be provided with computers on Day 2 for hands-on training activities.
|Agenda Day 1|
|8:45 - 9:00
||Introductions and Workshop Overview|
|9:00 - 10:00||Internet and Web 2.0 Overview
|10:00 - 10:15||Break
|10:15 - 11:30||Social Media Tools and Applications Explained
|11:30 - 12:30||Fundamental Requirements for a Web 2.0 Mindset
|12:30 - 13:30||Lunch|
|13:30 - 15:00||Government 2.0 : The Current State of Web 2.0 in the Public Sector
|15:00 - 15:15||Break|
|15:15 - 16:15||Introduction to the Strategic Framework: Understand what you are up against
|16:15 - 16:30||Day One Review and Wrap-up|
|Agenda Day 2|
|8:45 - 9:15||Review of Day One – Qs and As|
|9:15 - 10:15||Step 1: Set social media engagement goals
|10:15 - 10:30||Break|
|10:30 - 12:15||Step 2: Know your audience
|12:15 - 13:15||Lunch|
|13:15 - 14:45||Step 5: Set SMART social media engagement objectives
Step 8: Develop a social media guidelines and governance document
|14:45 - 15:00||Break|
|15:00 - 16:00||Step 9: Develop a high-level implementation plan and budget
|16:00 - 16:30||
Wrap-up and Workshop Evaluation