March 8, 2017
8:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
CEC Training Facility
1900 Merivale Road, Suite 206
Ottawa, ON K2G 4N4
Meet the Instructor
David Kardish, APR, is a founding partner and current President of the Centre for Excellence in Communications.
"At risk of sounding clichéd, I liked it all. I found the information on trend analysis and foresight to be very helpful. We struggle to get information and this will be an additional tool."
"The presenter is very knowledgable about the subject and used examples to explain ambiguous terms."
"Really enjoyed the presenter, pace and activities. Good knowlege of practices and challenges."
"I liked the amount of background given in the first half of the course. It led to the concept of actually then drafting a plan."
"The was a lot of emphasis on the prep work which can sometimes be overlooked. Lots of great ideas here. Work booklet will be a great reference for the future."
Advanced Strategic Communications Planning
Transitioning to Strategic Planner and Strategist
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
The CEC’s workshop in Advanced Strategic Communications Planning: Transitioning to Strategic Planner and Strategist has been designed for communications practitioners who either spend the majority of their time engaged in strategic communications planning, or who have previously completed the Centre’s workshop on Strategic Communications Planning: Critical Steps and Techniques. The CEC assumes that each learner taking the advanced workshop will already understand the steps and processes necessary to build a comprehensive strategic communications plan.
WHY YOU SHOULD ATTEND:
It is a given that professionals with strong strategic planning skills in communications are much more likely to succeed. Employers, whether in the public, private or voluntary sector, are always on the lookout to hire and advance individuals with strong strategic planning and strategic advisory skills. Professionals who have the range of strategic planning skills necessary to design, lead and facilitate organization-wide strategic communications planning processes and who can successfully deliver high-energy outcomes-based strategic communications are always in high demand.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
This workshop will provide learners with the opportunity and knowledge necessary to elevate their strategic planning skills to a higher and more sophisticated level. This innovative workshop will significantly heighten learner’s knowledge about the strategic communications planning process, provide learners with more advanced strategic planning tools and methodologies and enable learners to confidently tackle complex corporate strategic communications planning assignments. Lastly, learners will understand the processes needed to guide internal and external colleagues, clients and stakeholders through detailed strategic communications planning processes.
Participants will acquire advanced strategic planning methodologies and learn how to confidently undertake the following:
- Based on client and stakeholder requirements determine and advise on the scope of the needed communications strategy;
- Design, lead and facilitate an organization-wide strategic communications planning process and learn to successfully execute the completed strategic plan;
- Review, refine and incorporate the organizational vision, mission, values and strategic outcomes into the strategic planning process and outcomes;
- Implement innovative situational and environmental scanning processes in order to assess and determine the range of critical communications issues that will be managed and/or resolved through the strategic plan;
- Decide on the strategic communications priorities and outcomes that will both anchor and drive the strategic plan;
- Enable colleagues to transition seamlessly from strategy to implementation;
- Secure high-level buy-in and commitment for the communications strategy and implementation plan; and
- Manage the strategic communications review process and secure lessons learned.
WHAT WILL YOU TAKE AWAY?
- Notebook consisting of presentation slides
- Exercises and handouts
|8:45 - 9:00||Welcome and Introductions
|9:00 - 9:45||Strategic Communications Planning Sequence
|9:45 - 10:30||Vision, Mission, Values and Strategic Outcomes
|10:30 - 10:45||HEALTH BREAK|
|10:45 - 11:30||Lead and Facilitate the Strategic Planning Process
|11:30 - 12:15||Exercise:
Audience and Stakeholder Analysis
|12:15 - 1:15||LUNCH|
|1:15 - 2:00||Implement Innovative Situational and Environmental Research
|2:00 - 2:45||Strategic Priorities, Outcomes and Performance Indicators
|2:45 - 3:00||HEALTH BREAK|
|3:00 - 3:30||Exercise:
Leadership, Buy-in and Commitment
|3:30 - 4:15||Manage the Strategic Communications Plan Review Process
|4:15 - 4:30||Wrap-up and Evaluation